JANUARY 1, 2023
The African Library and Information Association and Institutions (AfLIA), the Library Association for Africa, focuses on the development of libraries, information centers, library and information personnel to offer cutting-edge modern services to people on the African continent to improve their livelihoods.
AfLIA will hold its 5th Conference as an Association and the 7th African Library Summit for
- LIS leaders
- LIS practitioners
- LIS educators
- LIS policymakers
- Young and emerging LIS leaders
- Organisations and Professionals working in partnership with African libraries
|Dates||22-26 May 2023|
|Venue||Erata Hotel, Accra, Ghana|
NB: The conference is a hybrid event. Live streaming of all proceedings will be available for virtual participants. All presenters are expected to present in-person.
|Pre-Conferences||22nd May 2023|
|Conference||23rd – 26th May 2023|
|AfLIA General Meeting||26th May 2023|
Future of learning, libraries and sustainable development in Africa.
- Technology-driven teaching, learning and research for sustainable development; fitting libraries into the mix.
- Modern curricula, pedagogy, African libraries and sustainable development.
- Online courses, Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and African libraries.
- Mapping the digital skills of African librarians for e-learning information service delivery
- The Open ecosystem, libraries and the future of learning in Africa
- Informal education, vocational training, skill acquisition through libraries
- as veritable pathways for sustainable development
- Decolonising educational content for the future of learning in Africa
- Place of indigenous knowledge in the future of learning and sustainable development in Africa.
- Libraries and equitable access to learning in Africa; present and future
- Basic literacy, libraries and the future of learning in Africa
- Connecting the dots: sustainable development, Libraries and STEM learning in Africa
- Libraries, inequalities, social justice and the future of learning in Africa
- African libraries as digital classrooms and e-learning hubs
- Paradigm shift through the leadership of library information professionals
- Library and information services through digital libraries and open access repositories in Africa.
Expected Outcomes of Conference/Summit
It is expected that by the end of the Conference and Summit, participants would have been able to:
- Understand the different strands and possibilities in the future of learning as well as how different library types can navigate the terrain in ensuring that they offer library and information services that will drive learning
- Explore pathways for turning libraries into digital classrooms and learning hubs.
- Expand their knowledge as pertain to the roles librarians play in decolonizing educational content for the future of learning in Africa
- Rethink the place of libraries in driving online courses, MOOCs, technology-driven teaching, learning and research for sustainable development
- Have enhanced capacity in adopting and implementing UNESCOS’s OER recommendation
- Comprehend and be equipped to lead advocacy on public access and digital infrastructure in Africa
- Understand climate crisis and the role of libraries in education and mitigating the fallout of climate change
- Learn how Wikidata works and how it can be used to create visibility of library collections
- Rethink social justice and knowledge equity within the framework of library and information services.
Online Registration is open from January 1, 2023 and ends on March 31, 2023.Participants and exhibitors are encouraged to register online and on time too to enjoy the early bird discount. Click on the following to register for the conference:
Conference Fees are as follows:
|Conference Participants [IN PERSON]||Registration between January 1, 2023 – March 31, 2023|
Members of AfLIA $400.00
|Conference Participants [IN PERSON]|| On Site registration (Late registration) |
Members of AfLIA $450.00
|Conference Participants [VIRTUAL]|| Registration between January 1, 2023 – March 31, 2023|
Members of AfLIA $200
|Conference Participants [VIRTUAL]||Late registration (After March 31, 2023) |
Members of AfLIA $250.00
Please note that payment for participation and exhibition can either be made electronically via debit or credit card, or via SWIFT Transfer.
In-person and virtual participants will have access to the conference, presentation slides and session recordings. Kindly refer to conference handouts for individuals and exhibitors for more details.
There will be exhibition by Publishers. Please refer to the Conference Handout for Exhibitors and the Terms and Conditions Document for Exhibitors to get more details about exhibition rates and packages.
Technical Details for Virtual Participation
The virtual component of the Conference will be hosted on WHOVA, a virtual event management platform. All conference activities will be accessible from the web browser (for desktop users) or through the mobile applications for smartphone/tablet users.
Within the WHOVA web platform and mobile applications, conference participants will have access to the conference schedule and other materials.
Virtual exhibitions will also be available on the platform. Virtual participants will be able to interact with the exhibitors, who will have dedicated virtual booths to showcase their products, offer promotions and follow up with potential leads.
There are built-in virtual networking and collaboration features for conference participants.
The recording of the event will be available on the WHOVA platform for up to six (6) months after the event. Registered participants can access the content from the web or mobile application within the period.
Registration Handouts for Conference
Kindly download the following handouts to get more information on registration for participants and exhibitors including details on the registration process, the payment methods available as well as exhibition and sponsorship packages.
For any further enquiries about the conference please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com. For more information please visit AfLIA website regularly.